We used to follow the the daily scrum ‘recipe’, so every team member was answering the standard 3 questions:
- What did you do yesterday?
- What will you do today?
- Any blockers?
It worked well to some degree – we basically confirmed that everyone was busy. It wasn’t always clear how much we progressed with the actual work – sprint stories.
We have changed the format to go story by story (as opposed to person by person). The questions are now addressed to the whole team:
- What did the team do yesterday for this story?
- What will the team do today for this story?
- Any blockers for this story?
- Stand-ups are shorter.
- There is more focus, as only things relevant to stories are mentioned.
- It’s easier to spot neglected stories.
- It’s easier to spot people busy with other work, as they do not add anything to this conversation.
We know that everyone is busy. There is no need to mention every meeting at stand-up time. It’s better to focus on the actual contributions.